Mission Statement

"Try a little harder to fortify someone so powerfully that whatever temptations the devils of hell throw at her or him, they will be able to withstand and thus truly in that moment be free from evil."
~Jeffrey R. Holland

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Take the time to look...


Today while I was on the bus, we stopped at this bus stop and there was this old man who may or may not have been homeless. He was standing at the bottom of the stairs yelling into the bus something that I couldn't understand and neither could the bus driver. One of the ladies walking off the bus understood and answered him "NO, this bus doesn't go to Ogden." As he stepped away from the bus I looked at him, and my first thought was that he was homeless, he looked like it by his clothing and his zipper was even down. I was maybe even a little afraid at first. I had my ipod on and I was listening to one of my favorite songs by SheDaisy "I'm still holding out for you", which had nothing to do with the situation, but it always makes me "feel" when I listen to those kinds of songs. I looked away from all the rest of him and looked into his eyes. His eyes were so soft, and so... different. Then I just felt love. It hit me so hard that we focus so much on outward things, that we never take the time to remember that all these people, everyone... they are our family. We all came here together. I just smiled at him, even though he couldn't see me back, and I said a prayer for him in my heart. I wish I was such a person that always remembered that about people. I made a goal this morning to always look into peoples eyes before the imperfect part of me decides to judge them. Although I like to act like I know everything, I don't, especially when it comes to people, and I don't trust easily at all. I just wanted to share this because it was a pretty awesome moment I had with the Lord this morning. I love it when he teaches me, and I love it even more when I listen.
Now I will go send a sarcastic email, because as I just told Jesse, I show people that I love them, by teasing them. Hahaha... just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment