Mission Statement

"Try a little harder to fortify someone so powerfully that whatever temptations the devils of hell throw at her or him, they will be able to withstand and thus truly in that moment be free from evil."
~Jeffrey R. Holland

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"Straighten Up and Fly Right"

Okay... I figure I better explain why I changed my blog name. It's because of an amazing talk that Jesse gave me. See, there is this amazing man that I work with. His name is Jesse. Jesse is one of my favorite people of all time. His office is right by mine, but I'm not his secretary, unless Kathy is sick or away, then I am his "stand in" secretary. We always have what he likes to call our "daily devotional", and I look forward to them, unless they are derived from some sort of "mis-hap" I may have had either verbally, or in action, then... I call them my "daily lecture from uncle J". I have decided that Jesse is a pluthera of knowledge and that his office is like a library of eternity. I will ask him a question, or tell him of a talk or scripture of intrigue and he will walk in his office and come back out with it. LOL! It's funny. So, the other day he gave me this talk for Dad (he loves to give me talks to give to Dad), and one for myself. It is called "Therefore, What?". It is so amazing. I read it again last night. The talk is by Elder Holland and it was given at a CES instructor conference. He is talking about the New Testament and how the Savior not only "teaches", but he also "heals", and in fact, he heals before he teaches and in that, he is teaching. He talks about how the Savior needs more people working in the vineyard. This is a long talk, but everyone should read it. I can't go over everything in it, but wish I could. In the talk he qoutes Nat King Coles song "Straighten Up and Fly Right" and talks about that is what we need to do. Now is the time. And that we need to start "healing" people. Not exactly literally, but spiritually. It is so good. It reminded me of this book I have called the Parables of Jesus, and during the section on the lost sheep, President Faust creates a list of who "lost sheep" are, and we are all "lost sheep" at some point. When I get home I will put that section on my blog because it was an eye opener to me and I can't remember the list word for word right now, but Lost is not just lost from the path, but lost in our hearts, even for the day. Anyway... as I was riding into work on the bus today, I kept thinking about that talk and that saying "straighten up and fly right" and I thought... that needs to be my motto. I was also listening to this talk today on the way to work by John Bytheway (the one Dad gave us all) and he talks about how we all need a mission statement. If I had a mission statement it would probably be that quote by Robert Louis Stevenson "You cannot run away from weakness; you must sometime fight it out or perish; and if that be so, why not now and where you stand?". Anyway... but I love this for a motto, so... I wanted to change my blog title. That is the long drawn out story of the motto change. I also love music and decided to make all my blog post titles be the name of a song. Just thought that would be fun.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...I love that song. In fact, I'm pretty sure that will be my pandora feed for the afternoon.

    I'm excited to look up that talk too! Thanks for inspiring me all over the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are great! Still.

    And send Jesse downstairs occasionally. I want devotionals!

    ReplyDelete