Mission Statement

"Try a little harder to fortify someone so powerfully that whatever temptations the devils of hell throw at her or him, they will be able to withstand and thus truly in that moment be free from evil."
~Jeffrey R. Holland

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Save Me

The story behind the art:

When Peter saw the Savior walking on the water he cried out, "Lord…bid me come unto thee."

"Come." was all He said.

Filled with faith, Peter stepped from the safety of the boat on to the stormy sea. But as the winds picked up and the waves grew stronger Peter’s faith turned to fear. As he began to sink, Peter cried out, "Lord, save me."

Two thousand years later, Christ is still calling to us. As we step from the safety of self-reliance on to the stormy seas of discipleship, like Peter we pray, "Lord, save me."

With perfect calmness He stills the winds of our doubt, reaches down from heaven and saves us.


I listened to an amazing talk today and it reminded me of this picture by Liz Lemon Swindle. I love her art and I especially love this picture. The talk is called Look Up, Reach Out, Hold On - Letting the Lord Lift You when you feel like you are sinking. In the beginning of the talk he was talking about how Peter saw the Lord walking on water and attempting it himself. He couldn't do it and cried out, and the Savior pulled him up. Well the lesson we learn here is so great. See... we all at times feel like we are sinking. It's because we, like Peter, do things without the help of the Lord, but we forget that he is there for us, always. This is another reason we have the atonement. When we are sinking, we cry out and ask the Lord to save us, and he does. I just think that, at least for myself, I might not feel like I am sinking so much if I would let the Lord help me instead of attempting do it/go through things on my own. Sometimes I think it's just second nature, but we forget that he is there. It's so hard when you feel like you are sinking and the only thing left to do is cry out to the Lord to "save you", as Peter did. If you are like me, you are literally "crying out" to him. How much easier it would be if I would just let him help me from the beginning instead of waiting until I am sinking and scared to death, but I sometimes forget and just press forward without him.
Well... this has been on my mind a lot today, and I loved this talk, so if you have time I recommend you listen to it because I didn't even skim the surface of what is in this talk. It's like a chocolate chip brownie with chocolate frosting- very rich!

3 comments:

  1. How I love all of your spiritual insight. Someday I will hopefully have the opportunity of actually meeting you! Maybe when you come to pound some nails at the house...j/k. So I am stealing some songs from your playlist cuz I love it! Thanks for all your great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tahnee. I told you you teach me great things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seriously inspire me. I wish I read/listen as much as you do....I'll have to work on that. In the meantime, I'll just keep up on your blog, and read everything you post about - that should keep me going in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete