Mission Statement

"Try a little harder to fortify someone so powerfully that whatever temptations the devils of hell throw at her or him, they will be able to withstand and thus truly in that moment be free from evil."
~Jeffrey R. Holland

Monday, November 16, 2009

"I love demolishing"

Something VERY funny happened on Saturday at the Rubow household. I know what you are thinking... NOT SHOCKING, right? Yeah... I know. Nic and Dave are finishing off a half bath off their family room. When they moved in the only access to the 1/2 bath was through the laundry, and let's be honest... whose laundry room servicing a family of 6 is clean? So... they opted to close in that door and create a new on off the family room-makes sense. Well, the problem they ran into was that the doorway didn't cover up as nicely as one would hope, you couldn't get the wall to smooth out around the door. Nic and I went over several options saturday morning as to how to either cover up the mistake, or fix it. I tried to sand it down, (cause now I am a professional sander-LOL, J/K) but the problem was the sheet rock was not hung flush. So... as i was standing there sanding I said... "Nic... this isn't going to work. You'd have to mud the rest of the top of this wall" I continue to sand.... then all of a sudden...
BAM!!!!!She wacked the wall with the hammer! RIGHT BY ME! Scared me to death! I think I peed in my pants just a little. LOL- okay, I didn't but it would have made it extra funny had I really. She started laughing, and once my stomach moved back down into it's rightful cavity, instead of being wedged in my throat, I started to laugh. She just goes "let's start all over." I was like "UH... you couldn't said that BEFORE hammering the wall?" So then I was like.... "where's my camera? This is blog material." Nic was like "WHAT! You don't take picture of this." I said, "Uh... do you know me at all. We are so blogging this!" Anyway... so here we are...
Destroying the wall. At one point Davey walks in and wants to hammer the wall, so Nic lets him, and then he proceeds to explain to me how he, and I qoute, "loves demolishing". I said... "yeah... that's not a suprise. You better believe you do." You know, not really referring to the wall.
Here is the beauty of parenthood vs singlehood. Baby cries...kids freak out....kid makes baby cry... baby eats sheet rock... Parent gets to calm, comfort, and control kids, while single person get to demolish 3/4 of the wall. I didn't mind....
PLUS... I had a helper. She was AMAZING. I just hope we didn't introduce her to a new coping mechanism. There is something very stress relieving about knocking down a wall. Who needs a punching bag when you got a hammer and some sheet rock.


What a mess we made... Nic and I werer so "white" literally, by the end of the project.
Almost done. We were also trying to finish before Dave got home from work. I have to share out dialog:

Me: Do you kind of want to finish before Dave gets home to prove that we can really do this, without a man's help?
Nic: Yep

So... we finished, measured and cut the new sheet rock and put it in.... why in the world I didn't take a picture of the new sheet rock hung and mudded is beyond me, but we did get it up and almost mudded (well round 1 of mudding) before Dave got home.
Yes... we are amazing! Thanks to our Dad who made sure to teach his girls how to do anything.

Okay... so later that night Nic and Dave went to get Keili and Miley some winter clothes cause it snowed all day and they didn't have any... They looked so....
Christmas Story, not to take pictures....

Miley
Keili

1 comment:

  1. What a great story Tahnee, I wouldn't have had a clue what to do! You guys are awesome. I'm glad you got some frustration out demolishing!! Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete