Mission Statement

"Try a little harder to fortify someone so powerfully that whatever temptations the devils of hell throw at her or him, they will be able to withstand and thus truly in that moment be free from evil."
~Jeffrey R. Holland

Monday, August 9, 2010

We Share Everything

Okay... so many of you know that I teach the 4 and 5 year olds in primary. I love this calling, it is quite an adventure every sunday. (I was recently given a new calling though) SO... yesterday I was teaching the kids about "Letting our Lights Shine", which... I challenge you to try to teach THAT concept to a 5 year old. It's not easy. It was a merry-go-round. They just weren't getting it. They thought everything from being superhero's to using a flashlight. I tried to explain to them the scripture in the bible where the savior taught to let your light shine and not to hide it under a bushel. I asked if they had ever heard anyone say that or talk about someone's "light shining"? One girl said "Yeah, on T.V." I was like "Um.. No, we are not superhero's. We don't REALLY shine." I also asked them (after reviewing again what Jesus taught) how we can let our light shine for other people. A boy said "We can hold a flashlight." I was like, "Okay, let's go over this again." Anyway... it was pure entertainment trying to get them to grasp this idea. I settled on going for the "When you do things that make other people feel good and feel happy you are letting your light shine. When you stand up for what you believe you are letting your light shine." They kind of got it. SO... I do this thing with my class where I bring a children's book in to read to them that I can liken to the lesson. It's a hit and they love and they "get it" everytime. I always read the book first to make sure I know how to liken it perfectly. Well yesterday I forgot to read it and while in class I pull out the book We Share Everything. I thought... Sharing=Letting your light shine- in a way. I can totally use this book. So... they sit in a circle on the floor and I begin. This is a fun book. It is about Kindergarten- they are all starting kindergarten- PERFECT! So, I begin to read, it's about this boy and this girl who fight over EVERYTHING in class. All the toys and everytime the teacher comes up and tells them that "This is Kindergarten. In Kindergarten WE SHARE EVERYTHING", and they say "Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok... and they go on to the next toy to of course fight over it and so goes the teacher again. Everytime the boy and girl in the book would fight I would say "Hmm... is he letting his light shine?" and of course they would say "NO!!!!!" and I would say "Yeah, they're covering it up!" and they'd agree. It was going great! Anyway... this cycle goes on about 4 times in the book when FINALLY the boy and girl (in the book) get it and they begin to share. They first start to share their shoes. The boy puts on her pink shoes and is so excited. It was great, UNTIL... I turn the page and they start sharing THEIR CLOTHES!!!!! I was like... What in the.... I thought... what do I do, I can't turn back now, they are LOVING this book. But... we don't share clothes! That is NAUGHTY!!! That is definitely NOT letting your light shine. WORST TEACHER EVER!!!! LOL! Oh my heck... after the book was over I was like, "Are we supposed to share our clothes?" and they say "NO!!!" and I was like "NO! We aren't. They were just trying to be funny in the book. But it's not funny to share out clothes." Oh man! The one time I don't pre-read the book and I teach them to share clothes... WITH A BOY!!!! Not exactly a success story.

6 comments:

  1. haha! that is so funny. i bet you are the best teacher ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Just fabulous!

    What are you gonna say when some mommy calls you? (insert wicked laughter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE it when kids books have a bad moral. Don't they know?

    While it may not be what you call as success story, I definitely call it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the coolest person ever!! I can totally see you sitting in that class, the book in front of you, panic screaming from every pore... And still you pull it off and teach them what is right! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha... that is so awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete