Mission Statement

"Try a little harder to fortify someone so powerfully that whatever temptations the devils of hell throw at her or him, they will be able to withstand and thus truly in that moment be free from evil."
~Jeffrey R. Holland

Monday, July 13, 2009

Intruder

It's Saturday night. Nic and Dave and family have gone camping all weekend. I finish watching "I want to marry Ryan Banks" cause the guy in it (not Ryan, the best friend) is so much fun to watch, I'm not gonna lie. I go to bed at midnight. It's 12:40ish. I hear a noise. I get up and open the door cause it was a beeping. Trust me, if it had been a "someone is moving" noise, I would have crammed myself under my bed that I probably wouldn't have fit under, I would have made myself fit. I open my bedroom door and the fire alarms are all going off. I run in the rooms looking for smoke/fire. I am constantly sniffing for smoke. I find nothing, so I run upstairs and do the same. Nothing. I run up to the 3rd level, and nothing. Then the alarms stop. 30 seconds go by, and they start again. Then... I get creeped out. Why are they going off? I start to wave my arms in front of them, and nothing. Then they stop. 30 seconds go by and they all go off again. Okay... imagine Tahnee and her overly imaginative "I'm afraid of the dark" mind. I was freaking out. I think, 'who do I call?' Someone is trying to scare and/or kill me. I call Dad, even though it's almost 1 am. I call Dad. I wake him up of course. He has me check all the outlets. I try the ones in my area first, nothing. I go upstairs, nothing. Then... I look up the up up stairs and the lights are all out. I didnt' want to go. I said "but... it's scary up there. It's dark. " Dad goes "well, turn on the lights." I'm pretty sure I wimpered and then went up there. Heavily breathing of course because I was expecting to find someone up ready to torture me. I checked everything and told Dad there was nothing. He then had me check the water heater and the furnace to see if anything was around them. There was nothing. I was interjecting his directions with completely ridiculous things like "Dad, what if there is a ghost in the house", "can someone set them off. Is there someone hiding in here?" Of course Dad goes "No Tahnee, there isn't a ghost in the house. And no one can set them off. Maybe there is a gas leak." he had me open the windows, but only the ones upstairs so that no one can climb up and get in to kill me. Cause I just knew that someone wanted to. He had me call Mindy and Rob to see if I could sleep there just in case there was a leak. Then he told me to call him right back. I call Mindy and tell her. She says to come over. And the thing is... regardless of the leak problem. THere is no way I could have slept there thinking someone ghost or human, or even Satan was waiting to kill me. I wouldn't have slept and I would have been whining to Heavenly Father all night to protect me. He probably inspired Dad to say that just so I wouldn't whine to him all night. Anyway. SO I call Dad back and tell him I'm leaving. He told me to go back and check the garage. I was like "WHAT?! You want me to open the garage door. By myself. But if someone is in there..." He told me to do it from the outside box. I was like "Uh... I can't, I can't." I walk out to the car and notice that the edges of the garage door are slightly lit. The light was on in there. "Oh my gosh, Dad (in a whisper) the light is on in the garage. Someone is in there. I turned that off myself." Dad starts to get worried so He tells me to get in my car, turn it on, and then use my garage opener to open the garage. I am in my car. Whimpering of course, like a 31 year old baby. I back out of the driveway, so that if someone is standing there I can scream and immediately drive away. I am on the road and I push the button on the garage door opener. NOTHIN! I push again, and again, and again. NOTHIN! I tell Dad. I have hit whining at this point. "what is going on here! This thing won't work." I drive away and I look back into the side window of the garage, and someone walks by. "OH MY GOSH. Dad... someone is in there. I just saw someone. Oh my gosh. Someone is there." Dad full throttles into worry. "Call 911. Right now! Call 911." "But Dad, I have to hang up with you first." "okay, hang up and call 911. Stay close enough to the house to see it though, but call them NOW." I call them. At this point the tears are coming. I tell the dispatch the problem. She sends out an officer. SHe made me stay on the phone with her until he got there. I was completely silent. I know, a miracle for me. She would periodically say "you okay?" And I'd say yes. Then be completely silent again. The officer shows up and she has me flash him with my brights. I do. Then he gets there and I hang up. He gets out, I get out. And he was so nice. He asks me what is going on. I tell him. He goes "Well, do you want me to go check it out?" WHAT THE... Well of course. I didnt' call you because I needed a freaking hug! GO MAN!!!! That's what I wanted to say, but instead I said "Well, yeah. I ain't going back in that place without you checking it out." He told me I could come or I could stay back. I had to unlock the door, so I went but told him I didnt' want to go back in until it was clear. So he goes in. Then I am standing on the porch at 2am and I think, "what the crap am i doing. It's dark, he is in the garage and I am outside. I am prey!" I start to chew my fingernails waiting for the officer to come back. He comes back after a good while and tells me that he didn't find anything. He said he checked every closet and room. I said "Well, did you check the garage?" He said yes. He said all there was was a cat in there. I was so pissed. I mean, I was glad no one was waiting to kill me, but what the heck! There was someone in there, I saw them! The officer was very nice. Even though I felt like a complete idiot! But I was sure, I saw someone in there. He told me to call right back even if I just hear a noise that seems questionable. He told me he left some lights on for me. He left. I went back in and was like "you left lights on for me. Screw this... I ain't stayin here tonight." So I called Dad and went to Mindy's. I still know that I saw someone in there. I don't know. Then Nic calls me last night from Mom and Dads and tells me that if the cat is in the garage he will turn the light on cause it's motion sensored. I hate that cat! Hate it! And to think... I actually fed that sucker this weekend. If there was someone in that garage, they forgot the cat.
Lesson learned: Tahnee can never live alone.

5 comments:

  1. You are seriously, seriously funny! If you ever decide to get your own place, DO NOT GET A GARAGE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of favorite lines from this post (because I can't stop laughing picturing the whole thing) but my very VERY favorite would have to be "I didn't call you here for a hug! GO MAN!!!" LOL Poor guy had no idea what he was getting into when he got that call....no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should seriously be a writer. You are hilarious! Don't feel so bad I'm terrified of the dark also. If my husband goes out of town for work, I leave every light on in the house even when I go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite line was also about the "freaking hug". I love you, Tahn! You're life is always an adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete